History & Architecture

The owner of the Uhlenhof, the name dates back to the 16th century, built a manor house and chapel in 1870, next to the old farmyard buildings, in a location with a spectacular view. In 1899, the then 53-year-old Josef Staffler, landlord of Bozen´s "Zum Riesen" inn and later inventor of the world´s first cable car carry passengers, bought up the Uhlenhof and the meadows and woodland that went with it. The manor house was converted into a mountain inn. Since 1966 the Schrott Family have been trying hard to preserve this fine building to which architects of the 19th century added two spectacular verandas and a stylish Stube.